Last weekend

6:29 PM Posted In Edit This 1 Comment »
Thursday night Fight Club last week was extra good and relaxing. I don't know why but clearly my anticipation for our weekly gathering was sound. Two founding members were absent, rack because she is drowning under a sea of work and Monkey due to being a dolt. I received a phone message saying "nyah nyah I'm eating pie at my parents nahnenah nah ttthhhpppbbtttt" or words that I interpreted to that effect. Devo, Crispy and I wondered up to the arcade where we judged and rated Crispy's DDR skills. Then nodded approvingly as he received a round of applause from some middle aged bogans.
Next we headed off to the suburbs to find an elusive Okami for the Wii for Devo and found it surprisingly easy to track down despite its limited release.

Friday at work was a bit of a disaster, my persistent flu decided to turn me into a walking zombie. A few times everything went spinning and I thought I would fall over so I called in re-enforcements. Which didn't arrive till 1 hour before close so I still worked basically the whole day in that state. I don't even know what I did, its just a big blurry memory mish mash. This flu keeps improving and then coming back and knocking me for six. Part of the problem is its making it even harder for me to sleep, even with cold and flu night tablets and sleeping pills involved. The lack of sleep is also probably making the damn thing worse so its a horrible cycle I haven't broken out of yet. I went home and slept for three hours, woke up, decided that was a bad idea and went straight back to bed.

No one was available to cover my Saturday shift and I worked grumpily all day. I had a rough first few hours but improved after lunch. Some guy threatened at the top of his lungs to beat up our newest staff member. "IM GOING TO JUMP THE COUNTER AND FUCK YOU UP" yeahhhhh, so that was uncalled for. I decided to best plan was to walk him to his car when we finished, the counter jumper could have been lying in wait. So I better be there to to shoot him down with cutting remarks and a few kicks to the shins.


Saturday night I went back to the House of H for dinner. ColdH had done a big risotto cookup and it was delicious. I tried to tempt her and Devo to join me on the journey to the "geek and gaming" party but they were happy to stay put. I collected zap and we blindly tried to find our way there. He declared that he would not be drinking, he's broke and reducing his alcohol intake so that works out well, of course if someone were to offer he wouldnt say no. Within five minutes of arriving I think he had a beer in hand and within half an hour he had unearthed the tequila and margarita mix stash. It was quite impressive. I was driving so keeping myself to very limited drinking and decided to best plan was to get involved by salting the glasses rims. While this was going on the Xbox 360 was getting a workout. Which soon progressed to the Wii with warioware and raving rabbids. I got some great video of people playing the most suspect of mini games.

Sunday I started asking people about the movies. Who wants to go? what have you already seen? When are you available etc. Eventually after much back and forth it was settled on The Hulk in the mid afternoon. I decided to go in about an hour early to purchase tickets and ensure everyone got a seat. Which all worked out well and I got to lie on grassy southbank hills watching mighty boosh on my mp3 player in the just nicely warm sun. Wonderful.
I enjoyed the movie, it was fun and explodey and great to look at. In the shadow of that other recent comic book movie it was never going to stand up as tall but it made a decent effort. There was nothing really wrong with it, there was just nothing really great about it either.

After which I headed straight over to Nickelbot's place for boardgames. I'd missed out on the bulk of the cheese and dips but no board games had begun so I was lucky there. After a quick assesment of the situation I decided to go get booze and crash the night there. I wasnt working in the morning and this way I could continue to relax. I drove to the little bottle shop around the corner and had a nightmare trying to park. The parking spots in that corner of the shops are very limited and I found myself boxed in with no where to park and no sign of anyone leaving. I tried to make a quick escape around a corner and found myself in a dead end. With cars backed up behind me I couldn't reverse out to turn around to I had to do an Austin Powers 32 point turn. Fail. By now I was annoyed and just parked in a bus zone. and ran in barefoot. The clientèle of both the bottleshop and restaurant next door looked very unimpressed and I congratulated myself on bringing down the class of the entire suburb in my efforts to buy the cheapest red wine and rum available.
Board games were great fun, I'd never played Blockus or Taboo before and they were both pretty fun. Geordie and I did pretty well as a Taboo team, and yes I'm still kicking myself about "scroll"

Overall quite an enjoyable weekend.



1 comment:

geordie said...

I would have loved to see your 32 point turn. We did make a pretty kick-ass Taboo team, this is true.