a morning

10:42 AM Posted In Edit This 1 Comment »
I drove through the glaring 9:30am sunlight.
My retro sunglasses cheer me a little but arent any good at blocking the glare. I squint at the world with distaste and navigating the car through the cheerful morning traffic. I drive this path too often, across town on a saturday or sunday morning, returning from the night before. Im on auto pilot, when home I wont be able to remember any particular points of the journey, just that I made it.
I reach into my power rangers bag, its filled with spare clothes and toiletries. Theres a two litre bottle of coke sticking out the top and I take a swig to wash away the taste of toothpaste and morning.
There was a time when Id be taking a swig to wash away the taste of last night but Im more prepared now. The power rangers bag contains toiletries and a change of clothes. It mostly stays in the car, helping to restore some kind of composure before I make my morning journey home from wherever I am. Its not quite complete, I need a container of makeup remover to really complete the set.
I cringe as the car makes a particularly soggy turn, these tires are going downhill fast and I haven't got the faintest clue what I can do about it. Just keep pumping them up and cross my fingers.
I reach the last leg of the journey, I'm mentally making a list of all the things I need to do today, all the things I should do today and all the things I promised I would do today. With the list laid out I see the enormity and impossibility of it all.
So I pick two and then cover the rest of the list over with a mental throw rug.

I head up the driveway hoping I can get past my parents to my room without getting caught into conversation.
I stop the car and pause,

Am I ever going to grow up? Or start doing grown up things?

I'll add that to the list for tomorrow.

1 comment:

Zac said...

Grown up things are wholly overrated.